Library Card Policy
To apply for a library card, press stop in and see us!
The following persons are entitled to a free library card:
Residents of the City of Hillsdale
Any person permanently residing within the corporate limits of the City of Hillsdale in a home or apartment owned by him or her or which is rented by him or her on a not less than month to month basis, together with all persons permanently residing in the household who are members of his or her immediate family. Immediate family for the purposes of this policy shall mean and include such person’s father, mother, husband, wife, child or other blood relative, step-child or step-parent.
Residents of the Townships of Hillsdale and Jefferson
For the contracted period any person residing within the Township of Hillsdale or the Township of Jefferson in a home or apartment owned by him or her or which is rented by him or her on not less than a month to month basis, together with all persons residing in the household who are members of his or her immediate family. Immediate family for the purposes of this policy shall mean and include such person’s father, mother, husband, wife, child or other blood relative, step-child or step-parent.
- Any person who does not fit into one of the above categories must pay an annual non-refundable non-resident fee for library service and to obtain issuance of a non-resident library card.
- Each non-resident card shall expire one year after the issuance date.
- A family non-resident card for the fiscal years 2003-2017 shall cost $35.00 and shall entitle the cardholder and his or her immediate family members permanently residing with him or her to all library services without restriction. Immediate family for the purposes of this policy shall mean and include such person’s father, mother, husband, wife, child or other blood relatives, step-child or step-parent.
- The non-resident fee shall be computed at the beginning of each fiscal year and shall remain in effect until the following July 1. The board shall consider the total library budget, the library tax paid by the City of Hillsdale and the contract amount paid by townships when setting non-resident fees.
Other Library Card Rules
- The person in whose name the card is issued shall be responsible and liable for any and all fines, losses or fees assessed against said card.
- Any person must show his or her library card to check out materials.
- Replacement for a lost card will cost $2.00.
- No library card shall be issued to any minor person under the age of sixteen (16) without prior written consent and acceptance of responsibility and liability for all fines, losses or other assessments against the library card by the minor’s parent or legal guardian.
- Library cards shall be issued only after verification of identity, residence address, mailing address and telephone number: home, work or cell. To verify identity a Michigan driver’s license with current address or a State identification card are required.
- For the first month after the card is issued, there is a 2 item limit, after that there is a 50 item limit.
Renewals may be done in person, or by calling 517.437.6470 on a touch tone phone. Library items may be renewed as long as no holds have been placed on them by other library users.
Placing Holds on Books
If you are unable to find the book on the shelf, ask at the circulation desk and we may be able to locate the book elsewhere. If the item you want is unavailable, you may request that the item be placed on hold with your library card. You will be notified by phone or mail; as you indicate when you first sign up for a card. The item will be held for pickup up to 10 days from the date the notice was sent.
Books are checked out for a period of three weeks. If, after the three week period expires, the materials are not returned to the library, they are subject to overdue penalties. There is a charge of ten cents per day for all items overdue.